Cookies are small data files that websites place on people’s devices when they are browsing and then store in their web browsers.
GDPR Cookie Consent Notice Example
A typical cookie consent notice includes a few common elements. It usually covers:
- Types of cookies being used
- How you’re using each type of cookie
- Whether you’re sharing data stored in cookies with advertisers or other third parties
- How users can manage cookies
- A link to a page where users can learn more
It’s a common practice to display this notice in a banner. This banner will include buttons that allow users to accept or reject cookies. Each of these options must be presented clearly so users can reject cookies as easily as they can accept them.
Below is an example from the UK ICO’s website:
Notice that users are able to click on the link to their cookie page, which further details what cookies are, how they’re being used on the website, and how users can manage their cookie settings. Here’s what that page looks like: